Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Reving up for Regionals

A little less than 3 weeks to go!The butterflies are back. Excited, but (after last years "fun") worried a little too.

May started the ramping up of conditioning and practice for agility so that we are ready for Regionals the second weekend in June.

Hill running. Hiking. Playing ball in the field and off leash walks by the canal.

2 Trial Apps nights this month.

TA 12-May - Gamble

On the 12th we practiced gambles and the boys did not bad. Got some useful tips from Darcy and he reiterated some points I already had heard before but hadn't always thought about. Spencer was brave and happy! Baxter was happy and jumping DW contacts... Both boys got the final gamble if I handled it the way I wanted to (as opposed to how it was suggested we handle it.) Short dogs can't see over tunnels!

Then we started Regionals Prep Class on 13-May. First class taken in over a year, 5 weeks of Wednesday night classes ending the week of Regionals.

Prep Class 1 - Gamble


Gamble again! Less focused in the opening than I'd like, with both dogs. We haven't been to Connelly field in over a year, so I'm sure that didn't help. No warm up jumps etc either, but the disconnect with the dogs sure showed.

Spencer was sniffy and sure wanted to pee on things (not helped by the fact that the resident dogs likely do potty around the "ring" which is just flags in the grass, not fenced or anything.) But still, a little embarrassing. Baxter couldn't flip away (switch) and send out to a tunnel, or find a blind tunnel entrance.

Need to work tunnels/blind tunnels with Baxter via the "crate games" method as well as finding a blind tunnel in flow as opposed to sending from a stand still.

Prep Class 2 - Jumpers

Next Prep Class was Jumpers. I got out of work late that night, so I got there late. Wasn't able to walk the course and Spencer was pretty stressed out about the car ride. Then he was stressed about where he was crated. So couple the stress with me giving bad information and not knowing where I am going, that first run was a disaster and he was not a happy baby black dog. AT ALL.

After I actually walked the course, we rocked it. Spence was still worried, but I didn't lose him and he picked it up for the second half of the course. So that's a win. I also stuck with my handling choices "despite advice" and I feel that is also a win. Things to remember: I know my dog, handle for them. Stick with my choice and visualize. And for doG's sake - get there early and walk your dog around so he isn't stressed out of his mind and can work with you!

Set up that tunnel jump combo 12-15 and time it. See if full extension over 14 and around the far standard or wrapping the inside standard (less yardage) really is faster.

This week we've got TA again tonight (Tues), class Wed and are entered in full Regionals Prep Trial this weekend. TA looks fun though. Have to see how it runs and just how demotivating that opening really is!

TA 26-May - Standard

I'm hoping the dogs don't end up burnt out with this sudden push of agility before Regionals. I know I'm having a little trouble with all the agility time. Teaching Monday. TA Tues. Prep Class Wed. Barn Rental Fri and Teaching Saturday.

The week before Regionals we have TA again on Tues, Class Wed and then Thurs we're going up to Edmonton to hit the warm up rings before it all starts Friday. I might skip some of that, so everyone is rested up and not stressed out.







No comments:

Post a Comment