Monday, December 31, 2012

2012 Year in Review

Ahh yes, New Years. Looking back at the last year and making plans and resolutions for the next.

It was a good year, dog wise.

Spencer was diagnosed with a luxating patella, but only a grade 1, so no where near as sever as it could have been. Otherwise health issues haven't been an issue as everyone is still pretty young (under 5.) I'm exceedingly thankful for this.

Lots of trialing this year and lots of progress with Baxter. So many firsts! It's very exciting with your first dog in your first sport!

We got 5 titles this year, moved from Starters up to Masters in everything and have gotten Qualifying runs in all his Masters classes (Snooker, Gamblers, Jumpers and Standard.)

We were inches from getting his MADC on Dec 28 at Training Troop's final Whee Wed (on a Friday) of the year, but missed it. Not over his weaves, or his dog walk contact, but on silly handling on my part. I think we might have gotten his first Steeplechase Q as well, but the SCT numbers look a little funny so we may not have.

We traveled for our first agility trial and stayed in a hotel over the weekend.

Sometimes you've gotta work for it.
Baxter also got his PEN as a Tibetan Spaniel so we can play in CKC agility now too. Now to hopefully get Spencer one so I can play with both boys. Opens up the door to more sports as well, like CKC Rally and Scent Hurdle.

Spencer had a amazing year as well, as I didn't really start his agility training until this spring. He's got many baby dog moments yet, but lots of potential and he tries very hard. He got his first Steeplechase Q on the 28th of Dec, and started/finished his Starters Games Dog title in 3 weekend trials only running partial days.

Spencer is doing very well learning to play Flyball as well, and it's been a lot of fun practicing with the Go All Out Dog Sports crew. I love that they aren't exclusively a Flyball club, it makes for a much better fit for the dogs and I, I think.


Life is a balancing act.

Goals for 2013? In no particular order:

Keep training random tricks and body awareness skills. Not only is it good for them, it's fun and it helps build the relationship that I have with each dog.

Distance skills for agility!

AAC Regional and National Championships are around Edmonton area this year. I'd like to try to go if we're ready. I think we are! Hopefully life cooperates and I can swing it with Baxter at least if not with both boys.

Baxter's ATChC.




Actually attend a seminar/workshop/camp this year. In person, instead of the distance/internet ones I've done so far.

Have fun with my dogs and love the time I spend with them, they're not going to be around forever. Cherish the moments with them. I'd like a better handle on Spencer's reactivity and snarky-ness but at the end of the day I love my naughty dogs. They make me laugh, rotten behavior and all.

Run a dog in a new sport, or 2. Like Flyball and Rally-O. Don't just think about it. Prep for it and do it!

Continue to grow as a dog trainer and a handler.

Sometimes to win, you've gotta pull with all you've got.

The best things in life are worth the effort.

No comments:

Post a Comment