Tuesday, May 22, 2012

He's a big dog now

Well, we did it. Baxter finally got a Masters AAC title. He's all grown up and is a big agility dog now! We got our Master Jumpers Dog of Canada (MJDC) title on the weekend.

Why do you pose me with these things?!

I'm very happy with the weekend. Regardless of Q's etc, it was a success. He did great in his masters standard runs. He was happy to be out there with me, which is what I wanted! They were LONG courses too, 200+ yards for the 4 standard courses but he was coming in under SCT. Maybe 200+ is normal for master standard courses (I'm not quite sure?) but he's not really built for speed over a distance and he was doing very good.

Flippy ears! Photo by Jay Collins
His handler on the other hand was a complete noob and mis-handled some (maybe more than some) stuff. But we were happy and positive and I think that's what counts. It's different handling a course in training vs in a trial situation, and I just need to relax and make sure that I handle the course how I walked it (and not forget those pesky crosses where I was going to do them!) I'm slowly learning how to fix things on the fly, which is a steep learning curve.

It was a really nice relaxed trial, which I wasn't expecting. I'm so glad it was, it makes it a little easier when you're out there walking the masters courses with the masses of "big kids" for the first time.

This was a incredible trial for people just being positive. Being supportive of each other and just saying something about a good run, finding something positive in a run that didn't go as planned,  how well a dog is doing or just how much something has improved. We all have to work pretty hard to "fix" things, it's really nice when someone other than you notices or comments on the success of all your hard work. So many people who have been struggling a little with their dogs got titles, or had other successes that honestly feel as big or bigger than that title run.

It was a fantastic long weekend and makes me really enjoy the sport =D

Handsome Baxter, Photo by Jay Collins


4 comments:

  1. I had no idea you had a blog!

    Great job at the trial! I wish I could've been there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, I also had no idea you had a blog. If I ever have a secret I'm telling you! i'm glad you had an enjoyable trial.

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg, now people are going to read what I write>?!

    I haven't had a blog for long! Now I need a new camera so I can take pics that don't suck and can have something to blog about =)

    When are you going to start one Kathy?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe a Puppy blog? If/when said puppy arrives. I wish I'd kept at least a journal when i got Oliver; there's a lot of info to capture that's helpful in seeing how far you've come and how great things are going, especially if you have a bad day. And i think your photos are fine - the one of your cat opening the pantry door from the top of the fridge is great!

      Delete