Friday, August 14, 2015

Graceful Retirement

Last weekend was the last trial and last run for an agility dog belonging to one of our local agility instructors/judges. (We loosely take classes with him in Trial Applications.)

I hadn't really talked to the handler about it, but overheard that some health issues were discovered last week, - not enough to have to pull, but since heart issues coupled with high drive border collies aren't such a good combination this was the dogs retirement trial. They'd still play in the backyard and just jump 6" but this was the last trial.



















I think I cried more than the handler did. Thank Dog for sunglasses!

It just makes you think. I hope I get that with my guys. A definite last run. A last goal completed or something. Something that makes you say "when."

It was just such a HUGE contrast to another dog I've seen running at a different trial. That dog is broken. Eye sight is going now, but more than that, the dog was running on Metcam. It slipped badly in a tunnel, but wasn't pulled. It was visiting chiro and massage after each run. It's back end/back looked so bad. It was to the point where I couldn't watch that dog run. It would stop dead as soon as it crossed the finish line and the handler stopped moving. Not looking at the handler. Not dancing around in happy anticipation of a reward. Just. Stopped. Dead.

I'll be honest. I cried then too. How do you do that to your dog? They do this for us. How do you repay that by giving them painkillers so that they CAN/WILL run?

Then you see the run this weekend. This old dog still has it. They were retired from Regionals and Nationals after 2014. They still ran a few runs in local trials. The handler would shape turns and angles so that they'd be loose and  loopy so the dog doesn't turn too tight with an old body and hurt themselves - because while the spirit is willing, the body is wearing out and the dog has no self preservation.

They played agility because she loved it. Not always full trials. No running at Regionals this year.

With Baxter slowing down a little this is on my mind more and more. We may never compete at Nationals again since we're not going to Burnaby this year. Next year is Quebec. By the time Nationals are back in the West he'll be 9.

So. We'll play because he likes it. Maybe we'll go for 6 runs a weekend like Spencer does instead of full trials.
My Fluff 08-Aug-2015, 7.5 years
When the day comes, my dog owes me nothing. He's played this game for me. He's taught me how to be a better trainer, handler and person. He has suffered though all those mistakes I made because he is my first sport dog.

When the day comes, I'm the one who owes HIM. I will retire him before he is broken and in constant pain from injuries. I will keep him happy and active doing things that aren't agility and I will love him to pieces for being my first! I owe that to him.













No comments:

Post a Comment