Sunday, July 15, 2012

Project puppy, but not "broken"

I have to let Spencer's past go. Yes he had some issues when he was a puppy and that was sad. I don't want remembering that to subconsciously change how I treat him and hold him back from what he is capable of. He isn't my "broken baby puppy." What's in the past is in the past. Maybe he's a bit of a project dog, but aren't they all? It might just take a little longer to teach him some things, that's all.
Who, me?
I need to expect more out of him, in respect to just general behavior. He can absolutely do it. The other day at agility class he was wiggling and rolling on the ground for people who were essentially strangers to pet him and rub his tummy. That's huge!

Instead of waffling and dithering about what to do, we are going to go out and do things instead of just thinking about them.

1) Once a week Spencer and I are going somewhere to work on focus for work. Could be a pet store, or a mall parking lot, or something - but if I want him focused, relaxed and not worried about his environment it means I have to teach him to generalize.

If I can get play and tug, that's fantastic. If that is too much to ask initially, then nose touches (he loves them) and eye contact is good enough. Work through shut down if possible and then reward by leaving that environment. And then jackpot with playing fetch. He is crazy obsessed with playing ball, to the point of turning down food.

2) Get serious about his agility training and focus on foundation work. Left, right, switch, go and get out. Working on him reading my handling (double box work.) Contacts. Wait for the teeter for now.


3) Body awareness tricks and games. Teach these, don't just think about them! Perch work. Backing up. Sit pretty. Ladder work. For all 3 dogs not just Spencer.

4) Record keep and stop being a slacker.

5) Do my job and keep him safe from other dogs. He needs to trust me to protect him from them, and I need to not drop the ball this time or ever again.

2 comments:

  1. Oliver and I can meet you for urban training when you want. You will feel better about Spencer :) You aren't a slacker, sometimes it's good with a fearful dog to take your time and let learning (and feeling safe) sink in. You have lots of time left with him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be awesome Kathy!

    I figure it I write stuff out here it'll help keep me accountable and actually doing something (and keep track of goals.) I don't want to push him too hard, but I also don't want to never push the envelope and expand on what he can do either.

    I just need to practice my baby steps more often!

    ReplyDelete