Thursday, April 19, 2012

Agility Trialing

I haven't been trialing very long with Baxter. It took us a long time to be ready. Well, it took ME a long time to be ready! He probably would have been just fine.



Part of the problem was, despite training in agility for over a year I had never actually seen a trial. SuperDogs at the Stampeed doesn't count. So last year when our trainer mentioned they needed volunteers I spent the day at AAC Regionals in Calgary. When you have no idea really what is going on, Gamblers is not a good course to watch to try to figure it out on your own. Thank goodness there is no Snooker at Regionals or I'd have really been lost!

So. Now armed with my idea of what a agility trial sort of looks like, I headed off to a Wee Wednesday trial put on by Training Troop since I was told they are a good jumping off point when you start trialing. Smaller, fewer people, less stress. Again, I just spent the night volunteering trying to get the lay of the land and figure out what I needed to do so that when I entered with Baxter I wouldn't be nervous and throw him off.

Our first trial was a Wee Wed on Aug 31, 2011. We were entered in Steeplechase and Starter Jumpers. I hauled my Dad along to hold Baxter since he doesn't love his kennel and I was worried about him stressing and shutting down because of all the strange people and dogs. He HATES pet stores and I didn't know how he would respond to the barn.

He did great! I'm sure I was a nervous wreck, but he was gold. We qualified in Jumpers! I was over the moon.

It was a pretty nerve wracking jumpers. The course itself was fine. But on our way out to the start line, the little dog the just came off (and was being leashed as we walked in) got away from its owner, tore up and jumped on/into Baxter - who was off leash by then. Now Baxter is not normally nasty, but when some little dog races up from behind and then jumps on him he sounds like he's going to kill it. I had a heart attack that we were going to get banned from AAC in our first ever trial because of "aggression" issues.

I will never again forget to make sure the dog before you is under control before you let yours off leash!

Since that day we've been in 5 weekend trials (4 full weekends and 1 partial) and 3 more Wee Wednesdays so we're still very new to the sport and Baxter is still figuring out the "game." The last few trials have been a little more challenging since my slow and steady dog has sped up a bit and I no longer can front cross everything and have to move it to get into position.

Baxter got his ADC title, the first title I've ever put on a dog in the Dec 2x4 Trial (Dec 10 & 11, 2011.) I was so proud of my little guy. We qualified in 6 out of our 8 runs in his 3rd ever trial including Snooker the first time I ever played that game.



It was a great turn of events from the previous trial, which was our first weekend trial. We only entered 5 out of the 8 runs since I was worried how he would hold up and how tired or stressed he would be. We didn't do very well. Baxter had issues focusing. I was upset because he didn't seem to want to run even though we run master level courses in our agility class. Despite the stress and unhappiness of this trial, I tried again, and boy am I glad I did!

What's up with all this talk about trials?

We've got another one this weekend. In Olds this time, not local. Due to extenuating circumstances I can't spend the weekend in a hotel out there, so we're driving out and back both days. Baxter isn't the best traveler, but hopefully he does alright.


No comments:

Post a Comment